Some of the traditions I am most invested in are associated with going back to school.
I remember treading to the mall each fall to purchase new clothes, new shoes and of course, a new bag and accessories. The end of summer parties and oh, the freshly baked after school cookies…yumm.
What I hadn’t realized until recently is that “back to school” comes with a price. The average cost to send an elementary-aged child to school is nearly $500, while the cost for sending middle school and high school students to school is $575 and $1000 respectively. Holy cow!
This year, we decided to cut back a little over last year’s expenditures. Here are a few ways we’ve found to trim the budget:
1. Shop at home. Go through your closets and see what you already have (read more about this here).
2. Come up with a list of clothing and school supply needs.
3. Set a budget and stick to it.
4. Make sure you know the difference between cheap and a great deal.
5. Play the waiting game. If your kids only need a few items, start out with those and buy the rest later when it goes on sell.
Are you doing anything special to save on back to school this year?